A doctor may prescribe Vitamin B12 injections to treat anaemia or the deficiency of vitamin B12 in a person’s body. The deficiency can arise due to improper diet or the inability to absorb the vitamin through natural means. Some people also use it to lose weight. But no substantial studies have shown a direct effect of vitamin B12 on human weight loss efforts.
You can visit a clinic or administer the drug yourself at home using the right piece of equipment.
How to inject Vitamin B12?
Vitamin B12 shots are usually deep intramuscular injections every 2-3 months in large muscles. Depending on your requirements, each dose may contain 2 ml of the drug. Since insulin syringes have shorter needles and hold only up to 1 ml of medicine, they are not the perfect syringe to use for Vitamin B12 administration.
Instead, the right set of equipment for Vitamin B12 are:
- Prescribed medicine
- 1 syringe (2 ml)
- Two needles (1 for drawing up the drug and 1 for administration – you can use the same size needle for both)
- For an IM injection, the needle gauge should be 19-25. The needle length is 1-1 ½ inches (up to 3 inches for larger adults)
- Alcohol Swabs
You can buy these pieces of equipment from any pharmacy or online without a prescription.
- Use the alcohol swabs to clean the site of the injection.
- Draw the medicine from the vial using one needle.
- Then, the healthcare worker will inject the Vitamin B12 injection on your upper arm, upper buttocks, or thighs in case of an intramuscular injection.
- On the other hand, for subcutaneous injection, you can inject it on the back of your upper arm, lower abdomen, and front of the thighs. However it is advisable to deliver Vit B12 dose by a deep Intramuscular injection in gluteal or deltoid muscle
Alternatively, you can also use oral Vitamin 12 tablets available at most health food stores and pharmacies.
Although there are no serious side effects of Vitamin B12 shots, you must still carefully monitor your symptoms after injection. Or, take a Vitamin B12 shot only under the supervision of a doctor.
And for high-quality medical devices, HMD is a perfect choice. It has a range of syringes and needles for varied purposes. Its Dispovan syringes are among the leading single-use syringes used across hospitals and clinics in the country.
So, invest in HMD products and provide quality treatment to your patients.